Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pope Benedict Prays with Sexual Abuse Victims in Malta, Promises "Action"



     Reuters reports:
     Summarizing his weekend trip to Malta at his weekly general audience in St Peter' Square, Benedict said:  "I wanted to meet some people who were victims of abuse by members of the clergy. I shared with them their suffering and with emotion I prayed with them, promising them action on the part of the Church."
     Victims groups had demanded the pope say something directly in public instead of using indirect reference and generalities.  A statement Sunday in Malta after his meeting with eight abuse victims said the pope promised them the Church would do "all in its power to investigate allegations, to bring to justice those responsible for abuse and to implement effective measures designed to safeguard young people in the future."
     First of all, as a victim of sexual abuse, I don't trust a word Benedict says.  The powers-that-be in the Catholic Church have been promising "action" and failing miserably to be transparent about sexual abuse by clergy for decades.  Only now when he's been caught and exposed is he offering "action."  He's acting out of self-preservation, not generosity or righteousness toward those of us who have been abused.  I don't want his prayers, I want his papacy on a paten offered up in sacrifice for his sins.

     Ben needs to step down, and he needs to remove John Paul II from possible canonization.  These actions will prove that the church is making some serious changes, until then his words are meaningless.

     As Benedict marked the fifth anniversary of his pontificate Monday, the Vatican was swept up in another potentially explosive case.  Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos, a former Vatican official who congratulated a French bishop for hiding a sexually abusive priest in 2001, told a conference at the weekend in Spain he acted with the approval of the late Pope John Paul.   Last week the Vatican spokesman indirectly confirmed that a 2001 letter Castrillon Hoyos sent to the bishop posted on a French website was authentic and was proof the Vatican was right to tighten up its procedures on sex abuse cases that year.  A U.S. victims group has demanded that the archdiocese of Washington rescind an invitation to Castrillion Hoyos to lead a mass this weekend in the American capital to mark the start of the sixth year of Benedict's papacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I shared with them their suffering" yeah, sure you did! More correctly stated, you shared with the perpetrators in causing the suffering of the abused! And unless you were abused, there is NO way you shared the impact of such a violation. Rule No. 1 in pastoral counseling: Never say, "I know just how you feel." Not the point at all, kind sir!

Secondly, you said the Church would do "all in its power to investigate allegations, to bring to justice those responsible for abuse and to implement effective measures designed to safeguard young people in the future." Well, which is it young missy? You've been saying for 20 years that the Church has already been doing this (with notable failure to rectify or stop such abuse) OR is it that you have NOT been doing all you could have done, therefore you ARE in fact, culpable in the abuse.

The more you say the deeper the shit in which you stand. Shut up, sir!